Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti Earthquake Tragic, Scammers Even More-so

A friend of mine posted the following text as his status in Facebook:

Text 'HAITI' to 90999: This service was set up by the U.S. State Department. Texting "HAITI" to the number will donate $10 to the International Red Cross, and will appear as a charge on your wireless bill.



I decided to check it out since I already saw another posting like this that was a hoax (the UPS Free Shipping under 50 lbs to Haiti). I actually came across this link:
http://www.totalbankruptcy.com/blog/is-texting-haiti-to-90999-a-scam/

If you check it out, you'll see that there are two different text donation methods. They are legit, one of them is to the Red Cross, the other is to Yele Haiti.

Now, I came across this article also:

I won't re-invent the wheel, I just wanted to say that there are plenty of legitimate ways to make money in this world, the fact that people feel the need to scam generous people defies words. Well, I just want to say this to those who feel the need to use a large disaster such as this to rip people off: Karma is real, and it will come back and bite you. We're not talking a little mosquito bite either. Enjoy your ill gotten gains while you can, it won't last.


No comments:

Post a Comment