Saturday, January 16, 2010

Cold = Negativity

So today I was bringing my son to gymnastics and I was really early so I decided to take a little ride. We passed by this HVAC place and they posted a sign outside that said: "Don't Complain, We're Warmer Than Texas!"

First of all, I almost veered off of the road I was laughing so hard. It did strike me though. It was a reminder of how much complaining and negativity is around, especially in the winter. Just look at it this way, cold is another way of saying absence of heat and since absolute zero is somewhere around -460 degrees, the coldest it gets in Connecticut is still quite warm in the grand scheme of things.

I'm guilty of it too, especially lately since my layer of insulation (my body fat) is significantly less than it used to be so I get cold a little easier. It doesn't stop me from wearing shorts, that's my trademark, but I have been finding over the last year that I have more and more of a tolerance for the warmer temperatures that I used to dread. Despite all of this, I try to remind myself of what I just wrote above, no matter how cold it gets, there's still warmth. Try and remember that in all areas of your life.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had seen this when you first posted it Mike. We definitely were cold down here at that time. Although I have seen it much colder as I spent 4 years in the Army in Alaska some years back. The coolest night was a Feb night when the temp at Donnely Dome got down to -112F, according to the US Air Force weather guys we were supporting (they were actually supporting an Army exercise at the time).

    I think I wrote a posting about the same time entitled "Think you know cold."

    I also have a story (to be published in a book I am putting together entitled "Let me tell ya 'bout COLD!" It speaks of that -112F night.

    ReplyDelete